At 18:46 18/01/2009 +0200, Hylton Conacher wrote:
I copy a section from Sheet1 A1:J30 and then go to the sheet name bearing the name of the street ie Dolphin. I right click on the cell I want the paste to start, select Paste special and make sure Paste all and Link are selected. I then O and the text is pasted correctly.
[...]
Now I move back to sheet 1 and change the formatting of the Dolphin street name ie I merge some of the cells in the street name row so that the street name is more centralised. I now visit the Dolphin sheet and see that the street name format is exactly the same as before I changed it ie no changes to the format have been made.

Given that the sheets contents and formats are linked, why is Calc refusing to adopt the changes in a linked sheet?

I think you have discovered how linking works: that only the contents of the cell are linked to the source cell. The format of the target cell is a local matter for that cell. Your statement that "the sheets' contents and formats are linked" is - sadly for your needs, perhaps - not the case: the contents are but the formats are not. The effect is exactly the same as if you had just entered a formula of =Sheet1.A1 (or whatever) in the target cell. Indeed, if you look in the Input line, you will see that this is exactly what Calc has done.

What is perhaps confusing is that - as you say - you get the option to paste the cell format when doing the Paste Special. But that is a one-off chance to paste the format of the source cell at the time it is pasted, not a chance to link the formatting of the two cells.

I trust this helps.

Brian Barker