Alberto Muller wrote:
I wish to thank all those who have offered help in solving my problem. Unfortunately it wasn't the only problem I had with OO 3.0 on Windows XP SP2. I was focused on the freezing problem and didn't give a lot of attention to some bizarre behavior of OO. Any way, the freezing going on (always on the 6th line of text) I decided a radical intervention. I uninstalled OO, downloaded anew OO 3.0 and installed it. The installation went smoothly, as usual and there was no freezing anymore. But the other problems are still here. I explain : usually, I was always able to open files, *.odt, *.doc, *.pps and so on just double clicking on the relevant icon. Well, it isn't possible anymore ; it starts well, I can visualize the empty page and the green bar at the bottom saying "import of document" in French and then....back to the desktop. Nothing else happens with the exception of a message concerning the recovering of the file (it never works). To open a document I must go into the writer or calc and open from there. With Powerpoint it's even worse. It won't open no way what I do and I get the following error message : Runtime error ! Program : C:\ProgramFiles\openOffice.org\program\soffice.bin This application has requested the runtime to terminate it in an unusual way. Please contact the application's support team for more information. After that, OO usually won't work anymore and I have to restart the computer. Any idea about what happens ? Thanks in advance.
A.Muller

If the files open OK from within OOo, there may be a problem with what Windows is using for the file association. What happens if you right-click on the file icon and Open With (browsing to the appropriate executable, such as the 3.0 swriter.exe? If that works, you should be able to get back to normal by doing that and selecting to always use this program (once for each filetype of interest).

If you do get tangled up, and would rather not restart the computer, you can use the Task Manager to end any soffice.bin processes that are running; that should let OOo start normally. To bring up the Task Manager, use Ctrl-Alt-Del, then choose the Processes tab.