On Feb 9, 2009, at 1:31 AM, Nick Brown wrote:

i am running open office 3.0.0 on my mac. I was trying to open a file
and open office stopped responding. When I try to force quit, the
program stays open. I tried to restart my computer but it wouldn't
restart because open office won't respond. i can't open any files with
open office, or restart my computer and I can't even delete the
program. Please help.

I've found that, when I force-quit OSX apps that are stalled (i.e., Activity Monitor shows them as "Not responding" and I select "Force Quit" from Activity Monitor or the Apple menu), it sometimes takes a minute or so for them to actually quit. I don't know why.

If an app doesn't quit even after waiting awhile, hold the Start button down and and keep it down until the Mac turns off, then release it. It may take a few seconds, but I've yet to encounter a case where that failed to reboot the system. If it does fail, though, the last resort, as Guy says, is to unplug/replug the power cord.

Dave