On 02/25/2009 08:16 PM, Keith Bates wrote:
> On Wed, 2009-02-25 at 20:08 -0800, NoOp wrote:

>> I'm not suggesting that you install on the school's computers (although
>> it would be a very good idea to do so), I'm suggesting that you do this
>> on your computer. That way you'll be able to reasonably work with sound
>> and video in OOo from your system without the mess/limitations of Sun's
>> very rudimentary JMF. Again, if you advise what linux version you are
>> using, then perhaps you may already have an OOo distro version with
>> gstreamer support already installed.
>

> I have Ubuntu 8.10 (intrepid) which came with OOo 2.4

Did you have issues with (U)OOo 2.4.1? That included sound and video via
gstreamer out of the box and is actually a go-oo build.

> I also have basic or "normal": OO 3.0.1 installed from the OO site.
>
> I had locked the version of OO in Synaptic so it didn't overwrite the
> 3.0 that was installed.

?? The standard OOo 3.0.1 installs into the /opt directory. You can
safely leave it there and there is no need to 'lock' it via Synaptic.

> Now I've tried to install the version from Ubuntu which the go-oo site
> says is the right one, but it hasn't updated the gnome menu and I can't
> find a symbolic link to start it manually.

It won't. And in this case if you tried the instruction for Ubunt on the
http://go-oo.org/download/ page it will just have you install/reinstall
via your Ubuntu repository.

> Do you know what the command is? openoffice, oooffice and soofice don't
> work

Yes:
/opt/openoffice.org3/program/soffice

This is why I asked you which version of linux you were running. If
you'd like to *keep* (U) 2.4.1 (highly recommended) and still try the
go-oo build of OOo for 3.0.1 you can instead install the OxygenOffice
version. It will reinstall over the /opt/ files and works just fine. In
addition you get about 150MB of additional templates, etc. Afterwards,
you just use your old Applications|Office|menus that you had for your
other 'standard' OOo 3.0.1. If you've messed those up, then just create
a new one with the path as above.

On the otherhand, if you want to actually overwrite your (U)OOo 2.4.1
and install a developer version of (U)3.0.1 then write back & I'll tell
you how...