Keith Bates wrote:
> On Wed, 2009-02-25 at 11:04 +0000, Michele Zarri wrote:
>
>> [snip]
>>>
>>> I would like to embed a music file that plays while the presentation
>>> progresses... the mp3 has  a song and the next few slides have the words
>>> to the song which the kids then sing.
>>>
>>> I tried to do this but for some reason I got an error message saying
>>> that the particular format, mp3, could not be attached to the
>>> presentation in the linux version. Is there any way around this? I've
>>> got the various codecs etc installed and can play mp3s, so it seems to
>>> be a decision by OOo developers to restrict the formats depending on the
>>> OS. That sort of undermines the cross-platform credentials just a tad.
>>
>> Hello,
>>
>> Indeed it is a bit tricky to have an mp3 song to play in Impress under Linux
>> and you will need to spend some time configuring your system.
>>
>> All the information on how to install JMF can be found on this page of the
>> Wiki [1]:
>> Once you have done that you need an additional step to enable MP3s (also
>> explained in [1]).
>

> Good grief!
>
> All of that to get an mp3- a universal format, even if it isn't open
> source- playing in an impress file.
>
> That is crazy!
>
> If Sun are going to insist on using their own products- which I'm sure
> isn't necessary when there are heaps of other media libraries available
> in linux that can do it-  they could at least make the installation
> easy.
>
> It looks to me like they have gone out of their way to make it hard for
> linux users to use OOo with mp3s.
>
> I think I'll stick to working around the problem.
>
> Thanks for your help Michele.
>
> Keith
>
>> When the machine has been configured, you are a step closer to do what you
>> want, but not quite there yet.
>> In order to have a song play across multiple slides you will have to
>> instruct Impress to use the song as a transition sound. Somewhat detailed
>> instructions can be found here [2].
>> Note that [2] is currently being reviewed so you may want to check in a
>> month or so to see if it has been updated. In general, in case you find the
>> user guide not easy to follow (or even wrong!), please let me know as I am
>> one of the contributors to writing that chapter and user feedback is very
>> welcome.
>>
>> Hope that helps.
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Michele
>>
>> [1] http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Java/Java_Media_Framework
>> [2]
>> http://oooauthors.org/en/authors/userguide3/impress3/published/0509IG3-SlideShowsTransitionsAnimations.pdf

Keith,
While the mp3 format is widely used, it is not free to use. The format
is patented and requires a license to use it commercially. You will find
that most, if not all, Open Source projects do not include mp3
capabilities by default. You have to install 3rd party packages to get
that ability.
I don't recall who owns the rights/patents for mp3 but they are the ones
who make mp3 integration difficult, not Sun or other Open Source
projects which are run by volunteers with little or no money to pay for
licenses.
Now, I do agree from a previous email that it should be easier to add
sound support to Impress (at least for ogg format which is Open Source)
but that is another discussion.
John