Gordon wrote:
David B Teague wrote:

I tried the memory settings mentioned in the link. These settings are consonant with settings mentioned in other posts.

After a reboot, or after not having OO.o loaded for a while (not measured, but longer than a half hour), the OO.o start time for a 50K odt file is 17 seconds. Time to start a new OO.o object is 15 seconds. The time to start an new odt document /after OO.o has been loaded then stopped, /is about 1 second. /After OO.o has been loaded then stopped,/ time to start OO.o and load a 50 K odt file is about 7 seconds.

Given all the great features of OO.o, and that it is /free, /it is fairly easy to live with these startup times, though I would like to have the startup times to be shorter.

David Teague

Are you running on Vista perhaps? I've noticed this behaviour on Vista (only!). It /may/ be a ploy by MS to turn people away from OO....it doesn't seem to happen on XP.
This behavior is also present in at least some XP installations. Mine for example. I described my system in my first post on this that is is buried in these messages.
There I indicated I have:

XP SP3
Sempron 2800, 1.6 GHz
333 MHz backplane