On 10/03/2009 13:56, Mirce wrote:
Hello everyone,

I use Linux, different distributions, and different versions of OO. There are two things that make OO famous:
1. It's a good aplication
2. Has a very slow startup, and that's not a hardware issue.
Everybody knows these two things. If it helps, i found the possible reason for
the slow startup : OO tries to connect to the internet, and in order to do so it checks the IP settings on the computer. If there is no available net device configured, or the network is down for any reason, it starts up very quickly. But, if it finds available net device, and the network is up, you must wait up to 90 seconds. Thats very stupid : I have a working hardware, and working software, but it won't work fast, to make it work fast you have to un-work the network. TO SOLVE THIS : edit the /etc/resolv.conf, and comment (or delete) all lines, and the problem is solved ! But, now you got yourself a new issue : you can't use internet.

I wonder, why is OO connecting to the internet during every startup ? Machines and applications should do what they are told, so if a user says "connect to internet" then it should connect to internet. And then OO will startup slow. Which is not good. If a user says "do NOT connect to internet" then OO should NOT connect to internet, and then, as I already explained, it wil startup very fast. Which is good.

How can I prevent it from connecting to internet, is there a setting for that ?

Thanks a lot.

Is this anything to do with the option to have OOo automatically check for updates? Tools>Options>OpenOffice.org>Online Update. But my 2.4.1 version on Win XP Pro only offers daily, weekly or monthly checks so it shouldn't happen every time you start OOo. So perhaps this isn't the solution ??? Could you use your firewall to stop OOo connecting? Would it help even if you could? OOo might keep trying ...

--
Harold Fuchs
London, England