On 04/30/2009 04:30 AM, Jean Lear wrote:
> I have been using Open Office for years now with XP.  I updated Open
> Office to 3.0.1 at the end of Jan 09. In the past couple of weeks I
> have had a problem with some new files made up in OO Writer when
> trying to print them.  I have a Brother Laser Printer and a Canon
> Pixma printer connected. I do not know whether the problem is with the
> Open Office file or the printers but both printers refuse to print out
> these files.  The data does not get sent to the printers. To get over
> the problem I have copied the file to  MS Word or MS Works files and
> the printers will both print them out. Today when I get a refusal to
> print I copied the file and pasted it onto another OO Writer file that
> I know has printed out in the past (made on an earlier version of Open
> Office) and by telling the printer to print page ? where the new work
> is the printing can be done. Today I downloaded a new copy of Open
> Office 3.0.1 and installed it.  I opened a new OO Writer page, typed a
> few lines on it and another refusal to print.  I copied one of the
> files that would not print from the previous installation of OO to a
> new Writer file and it would not print either. I have just typed some
> text into an OO Spreadsheet and it printed OK.  I then copied and
> pasted this to a Writer and it would not print.  I am at a loss to
> know whether the problem is with Open Office or the printers - more
> inclined to think it is in OO.
> Has anyone else had such a problem?  Sorry this is so long but wanted
> to explain in full what was happening.
> Thank you.
> me...@gmail.com

Jean, it sounds as if something in your OOo user profile is messed up.
Can you try this: rename the OOo profile folder, restart OOo and see if
it will print then?

On Windows XP systems, this is the folder C:\Documents und
Settings\your_name\Application data\OpenOffice.org\user
(ref: http://blogs.sun.com/oootnt/entry/starting_over_with_a_clean)

Rename the folder to x-OpenOffice.org-x so that you can revert back to
it to troubleshoot further after/if you've determined it to be a problem
in the user profile. To revert back you can rename the newly created
OpenOffice.org to similar, or delete it and rename x-OpenOffice.org-x
back to OpenOffice.org.
  Note: when you restart OOo, OOo will start as if you are first
installing & you'll need to go through the standard startup prompts
again. Also, keep in mind that you will: 1) need to enable hidden files
in your system to see the folder, and 2) you will need administrator
rights to rename the folder (I use linux, so someone will correct me if
I'm wrong on that last).

Please post back on the results.