James Knott wrote:
Tim Stephen wrote:
Whenever I try to open an attachment (usually word or excel) from my e-mail
(std windows) - it won't open and I have to save it and then open 'open office'
and open it from within - which is laborious.

how do i set preferences so that i can just double click on an attachment in an
e-mail and it will open using open office?

You may have to configure your email app to open the appropriate
application.  Also check your file associations in Windows.  Do those
files have the appropriate extension (.DOC or .XLS)?  If not, Windows
will not know how to open it.

Even though I have MS Office 2003, I have my file associations
for Word and Excel go to Writer and Calc.  Though when Windows
has updates, these associations go back to Word, etc.

Most times you should save the file attachments first.  I do not
like to open file attachments that are in the "temp" file area
where they are placed when they are downloaded with the emails.
ALSO, make sure your system scans EVERY attachment before you
open it.  Scan them at download time.  This could save you from
some nasty headaches.  Even if it is a valid file, the sender
could have a nasty on his/her system that spreads via the attached
file.

What email do you use?  My system tell me you may be using
Microsoft Windows Mail (Vista?).  If so, then you may want to
try Thunderbird.  I find it is better that Outlook Express
or Windows Mail.  Plus there are many security add-ons that
help you keep those nasties away from your system.