> Either MS wanted confusion, or they just bugged the software
> to not know what is what when determining if the software
> would work.  Hey, if MS does not certify the software, then
> it may not or will not run according to MS.  If you do not
> pay me, we will not say it works.

Windows Logo (or more lately Works-With-Windows) or the predecessor
program WHQL were all efforts to ensure that a given hardware (and its
drivers), and more recently a given software had been verified to work
with a given version of Windows.

No big deal.

It's a selling point.  It's like insurance. You probably don't really
need it (Mr. Corporate Purchaser), but a relentless marketing campaign
has ensured that you'll be given grief if something _does_ go wrong and
it turns out you didn't buy the insurance.  "What?!?  Our gimmelfripps
servers are down and you _didn't_ buy certified software?? You're
fired!"  :-)

Our company often pursues Windows Logo (as we did with the previous
WHQL), because some big corporate and institutional customers demanded
it. (By the way, Windows users are only a portion of our customer base.)

However, the testing and the cost (not just money, but the time of
engineers and others) ensures that we don't bother to seek the
certification for every release.  We just tell our Windows-using
customers "Installing this release of Product-X will result in a warning
message 'blah-blah-blah' from Windows. That is not a fault. Just click
[Continue] to complete the installation. If your organization requires
that you install only Windows Logo certified hardware and software, then
you should remain with version yyy of Product-X until our next
Windows-Logo-Certified release."

Because we are a security-and-crypto products company (my division makes
HSMs) we have the same arrangement with respect to FIPS 140-2 validation
and with Common Criteria EAL, both of which require time and expense
(FIPS, most of a year, and CC-EAL more than a year-and-a-half) just to
work through the bureaucratic and testing hoops. So we often let two or
three minor releases of a product go past before we submit a newer
version for validation/certification.

This means that many customers are using versions that we designed 4
years ago, developed 3+ years ago, released two-and-a-half years ago,
and received validation certificate(s) a year ago.  In that case,
choosing to use only validated products means those customers are always
living in the past.   :-)

One place where this can be a problem, in the security world, is if the
industry discovers a vulnerability in a widely used component and that
component must be updated or eliminated from products. The customers who
_don't_ demand FIPS or CC-EAL validated products are able to update
immediately and feel secure again, while those who are tied to the most
recent validated version are stuck until the next time one of our
releases emerges from the lengthy validation process.

The same occasionally happens with WHQL or Windows Logo'd stuff. "You
can have the version with the vulnerability fixed, today, or you can
wait several months while we jump through hoops to have the updated
version certified."

That's life.

Hell, some people deliberately look for computers that say "Intel
Inside".  Go figure.

The "answer", I think, is for open source / free software like OOo to
anticipate the problem and have the installer explain to the customer
that they are about to see a marketing-related message from Windows, and
they can safely ignore it. In their place, I'd even write up a big
explanatory web page and include a link within the installer so that
customers can read some reassurance if they feel the need.

 - Kevin

Cheers,

or disclosing it.