http://www.openoffice.org/dev_docs/source/sys_reqs_30.html
> 2.     Cost per user (standard version) for license

Nothing.
> 3.     Cost per user (standard version) for maintenance

That depends on if you choose to go with paid support and who you get it
from.
> 4.     What functionalities do you get with it (i.e. word etc)

Word processor, spread sheet, database, drawings
> 5.     Can we purchase here and deploy in Afrinet countries?

You don't have to purchase.  You can download for free from
www.openoffice.org.
> 6.     Is it compatible with the Office 2007 suite - i.e can I send them
> Office 2007 docs which they will be able to open in Open Office?

By default, OpenOffice saves in the Open Document formats (ODF).  While
Office 2007 & SP2 support ODF, that support is broken.  OpenOffice can
read & write in the older Microsoft Office formats and read Office 2007
files.
There is also an ODF plugin, for Microsoft Office available from Sun:
http://www.sun.com/software/star/odf_plugin

OpenOffice.org is a full office suite, comparable to Microsoft Office
and meets the needs of most users.  It is a free download from
www.openoffice.org and can be installed and used on as many computers as
you wish.  You are also free to pass it on to others.