Keith Bates wrote:
On Fri, 2009-08-07 at 09:51 -0400, Web Kracked wrote:

I just installed Ubuntu 9.04 on one of my machines.

Is there any thing I should know about dealing with
the Ubuntu version of OOo?

I want to start setting it up with all the extensions
I have on my Vista laptop, and such.

This is my first step to converting all but one machine to Linux.
Next will be an HP Athlon64 laptop that is running 32-bit XP/pro
that will be given a 64-bit OS so I can number crunch BOINC
projects faster.  Also that will be my default Linux machine.

This Vista one will go to Win7 when it comes out, and working properly.

But now I need all the help with Ubuntu 9 and OOo on Linux as I can get.

I'm coming in late due to time zones- most of the discussion happened
while I was asleep.

There is another problem with the Ubuntu version- Base does not work.
>From memory the problem was something fairly major, something like not
allowing you to open any database.

If you don't intend to use Base that wouldn't be a problem, but it was
for me so I switched to normal OO.

Hello keith, et al

(caveat - doing this from memory so don't slam me if I get something a little wrong, just correct the list..OK)

The version of OO.o that is supplied from the Ubuntu repositories is based on the Go-OO project files. This will mean a number of core feature changes, you can find information on these changes at http://go-oo.org/discover/

Ubuntu then includes a certain sub-set of OO.o extensions in their repository - Report Builder, PDF Import, Wiki Publisher, Presenter Console - I think that's it. (They are not installed by default but are there in the package manager ready to go)

Ubuntu also includes Gnome and KDE desktop integration as part of their package, slightly different then vanilla OO.o, but nothing that you could not do for yourself with the vanilla install set. They disperse the different modules on the menu system for instance - placing Draw under 'Grahpics' instead of 'Office'..go figure *smile*

Then there is Base...
by default Ubuntu does not 'install' Base, all the files are in the repository but you must use synaptic package manager to add it in yourself. In vanilla OO.o not installing Base causes certain features in other modules to become un-functional (is that a word) but Ubuntu changes the code so that this is not the case..IIRCC.

Then there is Java...
Ubuntu (or perhaps Debian..don't know for sure..don't really care, as I think this has been ironed out now) had some folks with an idealogical problem with Java from Sun..so they setup OO.o to use gjc instead. For most things in OO.o that use java (some wizards in Writer for instance) this works, but Base made use of functions that just plain broke under gcj. (this was really more of a problem pre-Jaunty 9.04)

What that means for Base is simply this - before installing the Base module you must also install a Java that Base can work with - OpenJDK seems to work just fine, getting the JRE -or- JDK from Sun works also (duh!). Then you must use the Options dialog in OO.o to tell it to use the JRE -or- JDK you installed and not the support files setup from Ubuntu. Once you do that it works well, as will the Report Builder built by Ubuntu.

The only other consideration really is that the Ubuntu builds tend to lag the official OO.o release by a bit.

If you are new to Linux I would suggest sticking with the version supplied and getting use to working with the package updater and synaptic. It is what I have done for the folks I've moved from Windows to Ubuntu and they seem to be happy (well all but one...there is always one LOL). If you need Base just be sure to get some other java package first. Hopefully Ubuntu will switch over to OpenJDK by default in the next OS release and the problem will be resolved, IMO.

Drew