On Sunday 06 September 2009, Peng Yu wrote:
>On Sun, Sep 6, 2009 at 9:20 PM, Gene Heskett<gene.hesk...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Sunday 06 September 2009, Peng Yu wrote:

>>>Here is my OS info
>>>
>>>$ cat  /etc/redhat-release
>>>CentOS release 5 (Final)
>>>$ uname -a
>>>Linux selenium.cluster 2.6.18-53.1.13.el5 #1 SMP Tue Feb 12 13:02:30
>>>EST 2008 x86_64 GNU/Linux
>>>$ dmesg | grep gcc
>>>Linux version 2.6.18-53.1.13.el5 (mockbu...@builder6.centos.org) (gcc
>>>version 4.1.2 20070626 (Red Hat 4.1.2-14)) #1 SMP Tue Feb 12 13:02:30
>>>EST 2008
>>
>> In a shell, do "yum install yumex"
>> (it may be installed already, in which case yum will say so.
>>
>> When that is done, then run yumex and it will default to showing you the
>> updates.  You are many months out of date.  Then use yumex to install the
>> - devel stuff you need before you let it quit..
>>
>>>I compile GCC 4.3.4 from the source code.
>>
>> I did that once, it was a bear with 4 sore paws.
>>
>> I'm puzzled that you want to build OOo from srcs.  The ready to run
>> package is available at www.openoffice.org, why not use it?
>
>I don't have the root permission in my machine. So I cannot update the
>packages in my machine. So I have to compile the code from scratch,
>right?
>
>Regards,
>Peng

This is the root users job then, and he/she is neglecting that
responsibility.  Find that person and ask that they first update the system
and then install the stuff you need, like OOo direct from www.openoffice.org.

Here, I only build when the rpm packaging system fails me. 2 applications in
particular, amanda, the backup utility, and kernels.  Currently running
2.6.31-rc8, rc9 is broken on my hardware.

I had forgotten that root detail, mainly because I run as root here and
thewre are no other flesh and blood users.  I do delegate many of the
machines jobs to other users crontabs though.  That leaves me more time to
play. :)

Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

Campus sidewalks never exist as the straightest line between two points.
                -- M. M. Johnston