On Thu, Sep 17, 2009 at 08:46:10PM -0700, John Boyle wrote:
> Robert Holtzman wrote:
> >
> > Hate to burst *your* bubble pal, but having used various Linux distros for
> > the last 10 yrs or so I have yet to have an upgrade break hardware
> > compatibility.
> > The only hardware that may not be supported is some of the new bleeding edge
> > stuff. If it was supported before it will be supported through the upgrades.
> > Occasionally an upgrade may break an application but I have had harware
> > stop
> > working.
> >
> > It's true that there are a bunch of distros but anyone just jumping in
> > would,
> > or at least should, stick with on of the majors, Ubuntu, Debian, or Fedora.
> > Which distro did you try that you had no luck with?
> >
> > What local help are you referring to? The place you bought the computer
> > from?
> > If so, what response did you expect? Did you try any other sources of help?
> > Since you posted to this list I assume you know what mailing lists are. Is
> > there
> > a local LUG and did you try them? Did you do any searches for online docs?
> > Or did you just decide to come here and whine?
> >
> > You sound to me like  Microsquish shill or a troll.
> >

> To the person who sent me this definitely misleading message, YOU are
> the TROLL!  First of all, your experience with LINUX is in no way any
> kind of measure of what another has gone through, and you are wrong, as
> I am NOT the only one to have had Hardware "incompatibility" problems
> with LINUX! Thirdly, I tried 3 or 4 different distro's and even did the
> upgrade on one of them, Fedora, which DID lead to the hardware problem!
> ALSO, I belonged to a Computer Club which had a supposed guru on LINUX,
> who would not willingly help ANYONE who would not buy a laptop and
> dedicate it to his preferred version!

First, since you issued what amounts to a blanket condemnation of linux, my
experience should approximate yours Given your assertion that linux upgrades
break hardware compatibility.

Second, the individual you refer to in the computer club sounds like a real
horse's ass. I assume he pegged your BS meter.

Was this computer club the only information source you tried? I notice you
failed to mention any of the others in my post.

> SO GET OFF YOUR HIGH HORSE AND
> START MAKING SENSE, THINK BEFORE YOU WRITE! :-(

I am and I did!

--
Bob Holtzman
Key ID: 8D549279