Could it be that, when you inserted the photo in OOo on Windows, you might have
had the "Link" box checked (near the bottom) in the Insert > Picture > From
File > Insert picture dialog?

As I understand it, leaving that box blank causes the picture to become
inserted as part of the OOo document, whereas checking the "Link" box causes
the <reference to the> picture to be inserted as just a link.

The default is to have the picture included with your document, for the kind of
portability that you desire. The disadvantages are:

 a) in a fast-moving working environment, is that someone might change the
original/source picture, and your document still has a copy of the version that
you initially brought in... outdated

 b) it increases your document's filesize.

Having a link, instead of the actual picture allows the picture to be updated
externally (in some other program/application), and the version in your
document is updated, because OOo simply displays whatever it currently finds at
the end of that link.   The disadvantage is that, if you move to another
computer, that link is broken and all you get is the text of the link because
OOo can no longer resolve it.

I had that problem a while back, because I mistook the meaning of the "Link"
checkbox - I didn't realize that it was either/or. . . partly because I was
accustomed to other applications that used different terminology for that
setting.

I think that, for clarity, the dialog should have the text beside that box say:
"Link-only to external picture/file?" or something of that nature.

Did that make sense?  Was I in the ballpark?

 - Kevin

or disclosing it.