john d. herron wrote:
Moving to Kubuntu Hardy. Would like to replace its standard version of OOorg 2.4 with my current 3.0.0. Is it possible to back it up and restore it into Hardy, or at least to somehow preserve things like my custom keyboard shortcuts?

john herron
Kubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn
Linux 2.6.20-17 generic
KDE 3.5.6 - OpenOffice v 3.0.0

3.x can be installed as a separate app in parallel to 1.x and 2.x.
When you first start v3 it will create a new user profile for you and it will ask if you want to import settings from v2.
This is convenience caused the most annoying trouble in the past.
If the new app behaves strangely or instable, you can reset the new user profile and let the application create a new one from scratch without importing the v2 profile. It is safe to copy your personal stuff from one profile to the other except for config/, uno_packages and registry/ which are edited through the options and the extension manager.
The profiles are:
~/openoffice.org2/user/
~/openoffice.org/3/user/

There is a separate backup facility for the keyboard shortcuts. Call menu:Toos>Customize..,[Keyboard],[Save...] and [Load...]