In a message dated 2009.11.04 10:02 -0500, william drescher wrote:

I just upgraded from 3.1.0 to 3.1.1 to see if that fixed the problem
- it did not.  When I click save as in writer the place on the save
dialog that usually shows a pull down list for Save as type is just
background gray.  The checkboxes (automatic file name extension and
save with password) are also not there.

I just tried, with both 3.1.0 and 3.1.1 Writer. No problem in either version, and all capabilities ("Save as type:", and the checkboxes for "Atomatic file name extension" and "Save with password") are visible and available.

I have all the options when I save as in impress and calc, so it
appears that just writer is affected.

That's curious, but I don't know enough to make use of that clue; I can say, however, that your problem is not inherent to OO 3.1, because people save to Word formats all the time. You could just wipe out and reinstall, of course, but then you would lost potentially valuable information about where the problem was. It would be nice to know exactly where the glitch is in the system, and I'm sure there's someone around smart enough to help you find it.

John