Marcello Romani [mailto:mrom...@ottotecnica.com] said a bunch of good stuff,
including:

> > Kim Walsh
> >
> > (P.S. I didn't register the version we use in school as we
> are hoping to be
> > able to afford MS Office next year and didn't want to be part of any
> > feedback study, or receive any e-mails or spam.)
> >

> I registered almost every copy of OOo I installed, and never _ever_
> received any spam from Sun Microsystems, the OOo website or
> anyone else.
> So you can safely register OOo, if you wish, without fear of
> being spammed.
> You should also have noticed that the registration request is very
> "polite", so to speak: you can just click "I don't want to
> register" and
> never be bothered by that issue again (I can't help but think
> about that
> other software's "let me be sure for 1000th time that you
> didn't steal
> me" feature...)
>
> It would be interesting to know how much your school will spend in MS
> Office licenes. Maybe those money could be spent in OOo
> training courses
> for the teachers...
>
> You should also consider that by using MS Office at school, you force
> the kids' parents to spend money to purchase MS Office licenses. Thus
> they pay twice: once directly to purchase the software for home use,
> once because their tax money are used by school to purchase
> the licenses
> for school use... by the same kids.
> By using OOo, instead, nobody has to pay for Office licenses.
> Thousands
> of dollars saved.
> Also, MS Office doesn't run on Linux. Could be a non-issue
> for you, but
> maybe for some parents it is.

Let's not forget Mac.

A lot of households have at least one Mac. If they have a mix (of Mac and PC)
then they might need to purchase MS Office twice. Ouch!

With OOo, it's just another free download to get OpenOffice at the same
version that's already in use on your Windows or Linux PCs, to run on
your Mac(s).

I work at a PC-using company that provides MS Office, but as much as possible,
I use OOo in my work. At home on my MacBook Pro, it's OOo only. Same on my
old Linux PCs. My wife's Windows laptop has... yep.... OpenOffice.org.

If we had kids, they'd have OOo.

What we do have is cats but, while they are inordinately fond of poking
and walking on keyboards, they haven't expressed any software preferences.

 - Kevin

or disclosing it.