OK Wally, take a deep breath and relax.  You don't have to SHOUT, we can hear
you, so please press the Caps Lock on your computer and go back to normal
typing.  The rest of my answer you will find inserted into your message below
because that's the way we answer messages on this list, so that anyone coming
new to your problem can read your initial input first, and then any comments
and questions to that, and then your answers.  So please put your answers under
the part of the message they relate to.

On Feb 18, 2010, at 08:46 , Spyman wrote:

> I ONLY USED OPENOFFICE.......I SAVED MY "MUSIC CD LIST,OVER 700) NOW IT IS A
> WKS FILE,,,TO WHICH OFFICE CAN NOT  OPEN !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

There are some apparent contradictions in your message which we'll have to try
and clear up, so here goes.

You used OpenOffice.org, so you have that on your computer.  Office cannot open
your file, so you have Office on your computer.  Are they on the same computer?
 A .wks file is for Lotus 123.  Now neither OpenOffice not Microsoft Office
will save in that format, as far as I can see, so I'm at a loss to know how you
have managed to get a .wks file.

I gather you have made a list of your music cds, over 700 of them.   Can it be
that you did that in Lotus 123 and saved that file?  Did you make your list on
the computer where you have OpenOffice?  If so, what was that file called,
including the file extension and where is it?  What program did you use to make
that file?  Did you open that file in OpenOffice and then save it?  If so, and
it was saved with a new file extension, then the original file is still there
and you can try opening and saving it again.

Or did you start to make a file in OpenOffice?  If so, did you use a text
document or a spreadsheet document or did you set up a database?  When you
saved the document did the program open up a warning, say, that you might lose
data if you save in the format you have chosen?  Did you specify a name for the
file you wanted to save?  If so, what?

It would also be useful if you can tell us what operating system you use, and
anything else you can remember about the process by which you opened your list
in OpenOffice, and all that you did after that.

> H E L P ??????????    Wally

Of course, we will.  That's what we're here for.  We're a bunch of enthusiastic
users, who try to help each other.
>                                            see attached

Sorry, Wally, but the list software rejects all attachments, for everybody's
safety.   But I don't actually think that's necessary at this stage, since we
don't know what your files are called yet nor where they are likely to be on
your computer.  Let's try and find them first.

Now in my timezone it's pretty late, and I'll be off to bed soon, so it's quite
likely someone else will take over when you supply the answers to my questions.

Good luck.

//James