At 10:14 20/02/2010 +0000, Harold Fuchs wrote:
I'm running OOo 3.1.1 on Win XP Pro.

If I select a range of cells in Calc and go to Data>Sort, I see two tabs: "Sort Criteria" and "Options". If I select Options I see a dialogue pane with some check boxes and drop down lists. One of these, about 2/3 way down and to the right, is labelled "Options". *But* it is greyed out. Why, please? Is this a remnant of some functionality that got incompletely removed and thus a [minor] bug, or is my installation of OOo hosed up, or does it only become active under certain circumstances and, if so, what circumstances?

In certain circumstances. It relates to the Language option immediately to its left, and is apparently intended to provide different sort orders of (necessarily textual) cell contents. The help text says:
Select a sorting option for the language. For example, select the "phonebook" option for German to include the umlaut special character in the sorting.

If you select German for Language, you do indeed get the choice of Alphanumeric or "Phone book" for Options. Wikipedia tells me that in German alphabetical sorting, accented (umlauted) characters are normally treated as the plain underlying letter, but that there is an alternative system - colloquially called "telephone directory sorting" - which treats a-umlaut as the "ae" that it really represents.

Mind you, in my English (UK) locale, the different sort orders do not appear to work as I'd expect. But that's clearly the purpose of the Options box.

I trust this helps.

Brian Barker