On 04/05/2010 05:24 PM, Harold Fuchs wrote:

>> per
>> OOo?
>> >>

>> > It does seem to be a Kubuntu issue. Thanks.
>>
>> I doubt it. .pps files in standard OOo (Win or linux) will open in
>> slideshow mode by default. If you want to open the .pps in Impress in
>> edit mode, rename the .pps to .ppt and then open. Same is true for MS
>> Office.
>>

>> Not on this OOo 3.1.1 Win XP Pro system.  Both .pps and .ppt open in edit
> mode. If I want to auto-run .pps files I need to download the free Microsoft
> viewer and associate .pps to it. It's been that way for as long as I've been
> using OOo. Perhaps on Ubuntu ...
>
> You can get the latest version of the viewer at <
> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=048DC840-14E1-467D-8DCA-19D2A8FD7485&displaylang=en>
> or via <http://preview.tinyurl.com/3buwr5> if that* *long URL broke in
> your e-mail program.*
> *

You are correct (partially)... sorry I had this installed on that Ubuntu
system:
http://extensions.services.openoffice.org/project/ImpressRunner

Checking on another system & standard OOo on Ubuntu (gnome) does open
the .pps in edit mode without the extension. Opening in Ubuntu 3.1.0
(go-oo/novell) does open in slideshow automatically without the
extension (this is on the gnome version).
-  Then checked on another (U)OOo 3.2.0 (gnome again) using Ubuntu
lucid(beta1) and it also opens the .pps in slideshow automatically. So
it appears that go-oo/novell have set the .pps to do this automagically.
[Correct decision IMO as you don't need to use the ImpressRunner extension.]

However, .pps files in MSO will only open in edit mode if you rename the
file to .ppt.

@Dotan: you can file a bug on launchpad if you wish. But as mentioned, I
think the go-oo implimentation is a better solution than the standard
OOo whereby you need to add an extension to have an .pps run
automatically. Plus my test show that it's not related to gnome or kde;
both experience the same behaviour. Perhaps the easiest way is to
install the standard OOo and then have your .pps default to that rather
than the (U)OOo.