Harold wrote:

. . . So it seems to me that any problem must be specific to the
Ubuntu version of OOo - are you using that or the non-Ubuntu version?
What happens if you install the one you don't currently use?

In fact I forgot to mention that I’m not using the version of Openoffice
installed with Ubuntu (still at 3.1) but the version downloaded directly
from the Openoffice site (because I couldn’t wait any longer to be able
to use Opentype fonts).

Perhaps it’s a conflict of some kind between Ubuntu and Openoffice. I
should probably reserve judgement until 29 April, when (I hope) the
latest version of Openoffice will be provided with Ubuntu 10.04.

Thanks to all for help.