Michael - mmorse...@gmail.com wrote:
Fred Crummey wrote:
I have a Lexmark printer which only prints envelopes in the center.
Why is it so difficult to print an envelope in open office? I have
instructions from ehow but I still find it very hard to apply. Any
good suggestions? Thanks, Fred

I know this response won't be of much use to you, but I'm gonna post
anyway.

I have _never_ been able to get OO from any version to correctly print
envelopes. What I ended up doing was taking a diskette (yes, I still use
them) to work where MS Office is used, copied a saved file with the
envelope option already set, and then opened the .doc file with OO. In
fact, I used to do this with many issues I had with OO. I knew that OO
was capable of doing what I wanted - I just didn't know how to do the
equivalent functions. In the long run, I am sure it would be easier to
learn how to use OO, but right now, my laziness dictates that I just
create the file in MS Office at work and bring the file home to use and
edit it.

From Writer, try Insert > Envelope. The addresses specified on the "Envelope" tab can be modified later. The "Format" tab specifies the size of the envelope and positioning of the address(es). On the "Printer" tab are various options to select how your printer feeds the envelope. There are several options showing how an envelope is aligned compared to a normal page in the printer; you'll probably want one of the ones showing the envelope in the centre.

You can either create the envelope as a separate new document, or as a part of the current document. The resulting page may have a large gap at the top or sides, which aligns the rest correctly for the envelope in the printer when the page is printed. If the text is being printed too far to the left or right, it may be that the printer recognises that it has an envelope smaller than a normal page and doesn't need the extra space added, so try adjusting the selection on the "Printer" tab when creating the envelope.

I originally had to experiment a bit to get the right options on the "Printer" tab, but once you've found the right ones for your printer you can create a template. You might also have to experiment with which way round you need to feed the envelope into the printer, but there aren't that many alternatives. If you don't want to waste too many envelopes, cut a few pieces of scrap paper to the same size as your envelope and experiment with those until you get the right settings.

Mark.