2010/5/23 James Hardaker <jhar.skegn...@gmail.com>

> Hi - can anyone tell me if OpenOffice files created on a Windows PC can be
> opened in OpenOffice on an Apple Mac and/or Linux PC?
> Thanks!

James, no matter what text editor you use to create a document, e g,
OpenOffice, MS Office, gedit, notebook, etc, when saved it is accessed via
the OS used when it was created. Thus on a Windows OS, it would most often
respective file system (NTFS and ext 4, respectively). The problem is not
whether OpenOffice on Linux or Mac can open and .odt file or .doc file
created on a Windows OS - it can - but whether it can gain access to the
file, which has been saved on a different file system in a different OS. The
important thing to remember is that the file is not saved in OpenOffice,
which is a programme which allows one to create documents in certain
formats, but in a directory under a certain OS on a given machine. If, for
example, you can get the document created on your Windows machine onto your
Linux or Mac box, you will then be able to use OOo to open it. One of doing
so would be to send it to yourself as an email attachment, and then open and
store it on the machine in question....

Henri