McLauchlan, Kevin wrote:
Twayne [mailto:twa...@twaynesdomain.com] noted:

In news:4c0572d0.8090...@gmail.com,
JOE Conner <joeconner2...@gmail.com> typed:
On 6/1/2010 10:52 AM, Twayne wrote:
I don't know if this will help anyone or not, but I had
some success in figuring out the how/why of OO.o 3.2.2
screwing up images in large documents
SNIP>> descriptions. Of course, duplicate my
claims on your own before entering a new issue too.

HTH,

Twayne`

I wonder, how are you anchoring the images? To page? Paragraph? Character?

Joe Conner, Poulsbo, WA USA
Thanks Joe; I know what you're about here. In Word I have the images anchored to the paragraphs the images occur in. When OO.o opens the Word document, the anchors often move. Usually they've moved up and to the left. When I look in Writer at the anchors, they've oten move up a paragarph is have been changed to anchored to a letter. If one screws up, they almost all get screwed up throughout the document. Regardless of the anchoring situation OO.o requires, it should be able to determine them from the Word doc that it opens. I no longer recall how small, but a small document doesn't have issues with the images; I'd have to look it up from 2.x. And these are only 20 to 30 Meg files, so they aren't really all that large, even considering they'e zips. I can't tell with my meager tools, but it sounds like a buffer problem to me of some kind. It's a really annoying issue. I've read that documents created from scratch in OO.o don't have this problem but I don't know that for a fact.

HTH,

Twayne`

With OOo 2.x (back in the day), I opened some Word docs that were 200-page to 400-page manuals. Some had tons of graphics. Some had tons of tables, or lots of lo-o-o-ong multi-page tables. Some had both graphic items (photos, drawings, screen-caps) and tables, along with all the text. Graphics would do as you describe, _especially_ if they were in table cells. Tables would set their own margins, usually out to the left of the page margin (nothing like they had in the Word source document). Tables that extended past a single page would often break strangely, entirely independently of dialog settings. It would not be unusual for a table to skip a page when it needed a break (leaving the page blank), no matter what I did with break settings for the table or the paragraph styles of the cell text (number of lines, number of rows, keep with next, etc.).

If a table had (say) an illustration or photo in each of several cells (down a column - one column was the graphic, the column beside it was the descriptions or comments explaining each graphic item), then any of several operations would cause all (or some) of the illustrations/graphics to leave their cells and jump to another location, where they'd pile up.

I took days, weeks fiddling. Sometimes I'd seem to have some success, but it wasn't consistent and I could never count on it. The most reliable was to go to the piled-up stack of pics, select one, copy it, go to the cell where I wanted it to live, click the empty Cell-content paragraph and paste. Mostly, they'd stay put, if I did that. Prior to that, I'd tried capturing each drawing/photo/dialog with SnagIt, saving to an external .png file, then Insert picture > from file (to match the process that I use with new pics in new documents). That would seem to work, until the table wanted to re-flow, and then some-or-all the graphic items would run away from their cells and pile up in a corner again. Eventually, I published using Word, then went back to OOo (with my deadline safely behind me) and basically constructed the documents from "scratch" in OOo. That is, I'd bring in big mounds of text, via Notepad - not directly from a Word file - paste and format. That wasn't too bad for sections of paragraphs, but it was horrendously tedious for tables and for formatted API stuff in programmers manuals. A couple of years later, I tried a similar import of a big-ish Word document into OOo 3.1... same problems as before. Same solution. Build it over in OOo.

Fortunately, I've pretty much run out of hefty old Word documents inherited from another writer - at least, until we buy another company and I inherit _their_ product docs... FWIW, aside from just a determination to use OOo instead of the MS product (kinda Quixotic given that I work mostly on Windows XP...), my motivation to migrate was that the Word documents had been a mish-mash of styles, spot-formatting, and other sins due to multiple authors and tinkerers. But at least in Word, pictures stayed where you put them. Must be something about the import / open-word-file-in-OOo process that breaks... since forever.
All of that to say, you are not alone.

 - K

Definitely not alone -- and totally native OOo documents can't be exempted, at least in 3.1.1 on VistaHP. I recently had a project with tables, each of which had text and a graphic (pasted into the cell). They've definitely liked to move, not consistently but fairly frequently. All had the same anchoring. but only some had problems. I'd close the document after saving it when it looked fine, and on reopening, some of the cell contents would have slid down as if that cell were using vertical centering instead of vertical top. I found that if I temporarily added a row to the table above the problem area start, then deleted the row, things would go back to normal.