>> Twayne [mailto:twa...@twaynesdomain.com] noted:
>>

>>> In news:4c0572d0.8090...@gmail.com,
>>> JOE Conner <joeconner2...@gmail.com> typed:

>>> Thanks Joe; I know what you're about here. In Word I have
>>> the images anchored to the paragraphs the images occur
>>> in. When OO.o opens the Word
>>> document, the anchors often move. Usually they've moved up
>>> and to the left.
>>> When I look in Writer at the anchors, they've oten move
>>> up a paragarph is
>>> have been changed to anchored to a letter. If one screws
>>> up, they almost all
>>> get screwed up throughout the document.
>>>    Regardless of the anchoring situation OO.o requires, it
>>> should be able to
>>> determine them from the Word doc that it opens. I no
>>> longer recall how
>>> small, but a small document doesn't have issues with the
>>> images; I'd have to
>>> look it up from 2.x. And these are only 20 to 30 Meg
>>> files, so they aren't
>>> really all that large, even considering they'e zips.
>>>    I can't tell with my meager tools, but it sounds like a
>>> buffer problem to
>>> me of some kind. It's a really annoying issue. I've read
>>> that documents
>>> created from scratch in OO.o don't have this problem but I
>>> don't know that
>>> for a fact.
>>>
>>> HTH,
>>>
>>> Twayne`
>>>

>> With OOo 2.x (back in the day), I opened some Word docs
>> that were 200-page to 400-page manuals. Some had tons of
>> graphics. Some had tons of tables, or lots of lo-o-o-ong
>> multi-page tables.
>> Some had both graphic items (photos, drawings, screen-caps)
>> and tables, along with all the text.
>>
>> Graphics would do as you describe, _especially_ if they
>> were in table cells. Tables would set their own margins,
>> usually out to the left of the page margin (nothing like
>> they had in the Word source document). Tables that
>> extended past a single page would often break strangely,
>> entirely independently of dialog settings. It would not
>> be unusual for a table to skip a page when it needed
>> a break (leaving the page blank), no matter what I did
>> with break settings for the table or the paragraph styles
>> of the cell text (number of lines, number of rows, keep
>> with next, etc.).
>>
>> If a table had (say) an illustration or photo in each
>> of several cells (down a column - one column was the
>> graphic, the column beside it was the descriptions or
>> comments explaining each graphic item), then any of
>> several operations would cause all (or some) of the
>> illustrations/graphics to leave their cells and jump
>> to another location, where they'd pile up.
>>
>> I took days, weeks fiddling. Sometimes I'd seem to
>> have some success, but it wasn't consistent and I
>> could never count on it. The most reliable was to go
>> to the piled-up stack of pics, select one, copy it,
>> go to the cell where I wanted it to live, click the
> [...]

Close to the same thing here; only if I delete the row added after pasting
in the image, it more often than not jumps up and left of the table again!
It seems to need/want that first line/s every time in a cell. You also have
to have at least one para mark on a blank line after any text above it or
it'll shove part of the text partly to the bottom. Using pic Layout shoots
the image right back out of the cell again, but always up and left; never
down as you mentioned. And the stupid anchor still sits there in the cell!
Grrrrr!

But if I break the problem documents into multiple documents, a lot of those
problems will mysteriously "go away" and everything will jump right back to
where it belongs.
   it seems that repagination is the event during which the misalignments
happen, but only in a "too long" document, whatever that might be. It
appears to be between 20 to 30 Meg mostly. But that makes for a LOT of
darned documents when I started out with only one in Word. I maybe could
live with it if the limit was around 100K, but not 25k.

I'm hoping the PTB might be taking notice of this thread. Thanks for your
comments.

Cheers,

Twayne`