On 2010/06/05 1:09 PM  RA Brown wrote:
Rob Clement wrote:
Are the new icons for the files created by OOo 3.2.1 simply confusing. For example I have some .doc files sent by fiends and the icon clearly shows the letters ODF on the icon. Should that not be OOo?

Thanks

Rob

Hi Rob, All.

No it is not a bug. In its great wisdom Oracle has decided that ODF is more important than OO.o. It has been argued over in the UX mailing list.

Andy

Actually it is a bug. A .doc file is not an ODF file and the ODF icon should not appear on a .doc file. On my Mac a .doc file has a plain white icon with a folded corner.

It seems that the ODF cabal, in its great wisdom, overlooked the fact that MS Window is going to use its icon for .doc files when OOo is set as the default application for them. There desire to promote the ODF format (which I support) overwhelms the practical implications of their autocratic imposition of the ODF icons on the OOo community.

--

Larry I. Gusaas
Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan Canada