On 2010-06-05 4:01 PM, Larry Gusaas wrote:
> On 2010/06/05 1:09 PM  RA Brown wrote:
>> Rob Clement wrote:
>>> Are the new icons for the files created by OOo 3.2.1 simply
>>> confusing. For example I have some .doc files sent by fiends and
>>> the icon clearly shows the letters ODF on the icon. Should that
>>> not be OOo?

I don't see this. MS files on mine do *not* have an ODF anywhere on the
icon.

Windows XP Pro sp3, OOo 3.2.1 release.

>> No it is not a bug. In its great wisdom Oracle has decided that
>> ODF is more important than OO.o. It has been argued over in the UX
>> mailing list.

> Actually it is a bug. A .doc file is not an ODF file and the ODF
> icon should not appear on a .doc file. On my Mac a .doc file has a
> plain white icon with a folded corner.

That's similar to what I see - its not totally plain white though, it is
a greyscale icon, with a small empty rectangular box in the upper left -
it is in the same place as where the ODF is displayed on OOo files, but
again, there is *no ODF* there.

Why in the world would these icons be changed on a minor point release?
This was a really, really bad decision...

1. All of the MS file icons are greyscale, and very plain - BAD

2. All of the ODF icons are the same color - *really* BAD

3. Uninstalling OOo 3.2.1 and reinstalling 3.2.0 does *not* restore the
old icons - really, really, *really* BAD

4. One redeeming quality - I actually do like the new *designs* on the
icons, I just want the *colors* back. Most people are visually oriented,
and quickly scan file types by icon, and color is what makes them stand out.

I have shown these to 15 people here in our office now, and every -
single - one - of - them said they didn't like them and asked me how to
get the old icons back.

This is INSANE. Does anyone know how to change these icons either via
GPO, or through some kind of script/command line magic?