On 9 June 2010 00:42, RA Brown <rabr...@the-martin-byrd.net> wrote:
> I think I understand what your looking for and I like the idea.  The ODT and
> ODS files both contain several documents already.  The sub-document, for
> lack of a better term, named content.xml is the actual data that is entered.
>  In ODS -all- the "sheets" are that one document not individual files.

Andy, I am not talking about extracting the text files files inside an
unzipped ODT file. Or purposes of this discussion it does not matter
that ODF is not a compressed binary.

Files are things that you can drag around in your file manager.
Documents are things that you can print.

Wouldn't it be nice to have an expenses.ods file that would have one
spreadsheet for your home expenses, another for your business
expenses, and a third for your hobby expenses? You can do that today,
in OOo Calc. They are called sheets.

Wouldn't it be nice to have an expenses.odt file that would have one
document that listed your home expenses, another that listed your
business expenses, and a third that listed your hobby expenses? Why
have three different ODT files for these related documents? How about
multiple-language resumes? Why must I keep an English resume in a
separate file from my Hebrew resume? Why can't they both be in the
same ODT file, just as multiple spreadsheets can be stored in a single
ODS file.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://gibberish.co.il