Marcello Romani - mrom...@ottotecnica.com wrote:
Karsten Burger ha scritto:
Hello,

perhaps somebody knows this?

I have the latest OO version 3.2.1

If I write text on a slide in OO-Impress, and I want to color selected
words with a certain color, this is very tedious:

I have to select the color for each single word!
The reason is, the color button has a color itself, but this changes
as you point the cursor to a different place: it will show the local
color (after a short time).
This means, if I want to change a word's color:
- I select a word
- I click on the small triangle besides the color button
- I select a color

I am not sure whether this is intended.
In my opinion, it should show the last color manually selected, and
apply it to each selection, for which I click on the color button. In
this way it would be much quicker (after the first word):
- I select a word
- I click on the color button

Regards, Karsten

When you select a word, the color toolbar button is set to the color of
that word. This is expected. The rationale is that the toolbar state
must reflect the properties of the object where the cursor is currently in.
I think you're right when you say it's tedious, but I think that's the
way it's intended to work, and I don't see how it can be changed without
major modifications to how the toolbar works in general.

Marcello - Karsten does not appear to be subscribed to the list, so may not have seen your reply.

The behaviour is at least inconsistent, in OpenOffice 3.2.0 on Windows Vista...

1. Writer Text and highlight colour:
Show the last colour chosen.
On clicking the button, apply that colour.
On clicking the arrow, display a pallet to choose a different colour.
(as Karsten suggests)

2. Impress text colour:
Show the colour of the currently selected text.
On clicking the button, do nothing
On clicking the arrow, display a pallet to choose a different colour.

3. Writer background colour, Calc background colour:
Show the colour of the currently selected text.
On clicking the button, display a pallet to choose a different colour.
On clicking the arrow, display a pallet to choose a different colour.

Which of these is correct is very likely a matter of opinion. My opinion is with Karsten, that everything should behave as in case 1, where the button icon shows the last used colour and that can be applied again elsewhere by clicking the button. Case 2 definitely seems wrong - a toolbar button which never does anything! Case 3, while I see the logic in showing the state of the currently selected text, is not productive in practice (I also find that tedious, in my case usually applying cell highlighting in a spreadsheet).

I'd also suggest an enhancement to somehow show the colour of the selected text in the pallet, unless of course the selection includes more than one colour, perhaps a heavy black outline around the current colour.

Mark.