On 08/07/2010 17:08, Marcello Romani wrote:

When the scan is complete, you'll have an ordinary odt document with an
image in it.
Regardless of whether the image has been scanned or inserted by hand, it
will be editable with the usual limitations of OOo (brighntess,
contrast, tone, etc.), which have nothing to do with scanning of course.

I think we're drifting off here!
What I am really after is this.
If I connect to the Officejet in Windows and put a document on the scanner, there is an option to scan the document in as a Word document, not as an image file, and the resultant file can be opened and edited just like a normal Word document. Now unfortunately, the Linux driver for this all-in-one machine doesn't allow that function so I have had to install a third-party scanning utility such as Xsane. I haven't found yet a scanning utility that will allow the scanned image to be "saved as" an editable word-processing document and not as an uneditable image file.
I'm wondering if any such thing actually exists in Linux...