Thomas Blasejewicz - tho...@s7.dion.ne.jp wrote:
Select any word -> press Ctrl+X = text disappears.
In all other software I know, pressing Ctrl+V will paste the text
portion that was deleted at the cursor position
With my messed up settings pressing Ctrl+V will paste a text portion
that has *SPECIFICALLY* been designated for *copy* - even this has been
made in another open software -
but NOT the text I just deleted.

It sounds to me like Ctrl+V is working fine, but that Ctrl+X is "deleting" rather than "cutting". Cutting moves the selected text to the clipboard, so that it can be pasted somewhere else; deleting just deletes it.

Open the keyboard shortcuts:
  Go to Tools > Customise... > Keyboard.

Check the Writer-specific shortcuts:
1. Click the "Writer" "radio button" (black or white dot) at the top right.
2. Click in the "Shortcut Keys" box and press Ctrl+X; that should bring the shortcut assigned for Ctrl+X into view.
3. It should be blank; if not, click "Delete" to remove the shortcut.

Now check the shortcuts for all OpenOffice.org applications:
1. Click the "OpenOffice.org" radio button at the top right.
2. Click in the "Shortcut Keys" box and press Ctrl+X to bring the shortcut assigned for Ctrl+X into view. 3. It should be "Cut"; if not, in the lower part of the dialog, click "Edit" in the Category list, then "Cut" in the Function list. Ensure that Ctrl+X is still selected in the Shortcut Keys list, then click "Modify".

Click "OK to apply the changes and close the dialog.

On Windows, and many other operating systems, all applications share a common clipboard, so that you can copy/cut and paste between applications. If you copy or cut some text from OpenOffice, then copy or cut something else from another application, then paste in OpenOffice, you will get the content from the other application - i.e. the last copied or cut from any application is pasted.

If I use in THIS particular case Undo: first = copied (from another
software) text disappears; second the word I deleted intentionally
reappears.

That is how Undo is expected to work - it un-does the last thing you did (pasting from another application). If you undo again, it un-does the thing you did before that (deleting text). etc.

Fine, but still I would like to return Ctrl+V to its "original" state.

I do suppose, that everybody else will get: "pressing Ctrl+V will paste
the text portion that was deleted at the cursor position"
So, there should be a setting somewhere that will do that trick.
I tried under "Customize" to click on "reset", but that had no
observable effect.
(in fact, A LOT OF settings do not produce ANY detectable effect, like
the one with highlighting I asked about the other day ...)

The "Reset" button seems to set everything back to how it was when you opened the dialog, not "factory" settings. It is as if you clicked "Cancel" to close the dialog without saving changes, and then opened it again. Any changes you previously made and accepted by clicking "OK" are restored. Someone else may be able to tell you how to get back to "factory" settings (how it was when you first installed OpenOffice.org), but you may lose some other customisations in the process (e.g. changes to the toolbar buttons).

Hope that helps,
Mark.