john d. herron ha scritto:

On 09/01/2010 04:21 AM, Hal Vaughan wrote:
When OpenOffice states that 512 MB is a minimum requirement for operation and that 1 GB is preferable, just what does that mean?

For example, if I'm running Linux and have a 512 MB system, a certain amount will be taken up by the desktop environment and other background tasks. So does it mean OOo needs 512 MB to itself, or that it should find enough of what it needs on a 512 MB system? I have a system with 512 MB and I'm running OOo from the command line (with Java, so it can receive documents, convert to a PDF, then send them back), and there's no desktop environment, that I'd be okay if, at the same time, I had several Perl programs running?
I don't know how your specific requirements will evolve, but can assure you that for the past four-five years I've been running various Linux versions (this here is Kubuntu Hardy 8.04.4) with their respective OpenOffice.org suites on this no-name 512-MB RAM box, alongside other applications, with no problems at all, with swap picking up the slack as needed.
Just my two cents...

john

The OS in use is a key factor. IMHO Linux handles memory pressure better than Windows (XP, don't have extensive experience on Vista or 7), so on memory constrained machines (<= 512 MB RAM) you should see a difference. Also, usually on Windows you install the latests OOo release, while on Linux you tend to stick with what the distro repo provides, which is always behind the official download site.

--
Marcello Romani