Hal Vaughan wrote:
Doesn't anyone here have any experience or background on using OOo with as
small a system as possible or with small systems?

Hal

On Aug 31, 2010, at 10:21 PM, Hal Vaughan wrote:

When OpenOffice states that 512 MB is a minimum requirement for operation and
that 1 GB is preferable, just what does that mean?

For example, if I'm running Linux and have a 512 MB system, a certain amount will be taken up by the desktop environment and other background tasks. So does it mean OOo needs 512 MB to itself, or that it should find enough of what it needs on a 512 MB system?
I have a system with 512 MB and I'm running OOo from the command line (with
Java, so it can receive documents, convert to a PDF, then send them back), and
there's no desktop environment, that I'd be okay if, at the same time, I had
several Perl programs running?

How about if I used a 1 GB SD RAM card as a hard drive and created a swap file
on it?  Would that slow it down too much?

The reason I'm asking is that I'm going to have to change my entire setup with
my clients and, instead of doing all the processing on a server in my home
office, I'm going to have to put embedded systems in my clients' offices.  So
far I've found something that runs Debian Linux (meaning I can get all the
packages I need for it), but it only has 512 Flash RAM and 512 RAM, but I could
add a 1 GB SD RAM card, save some files I need on that and create a swap file.

I don't need this to run at lightning speed, but it'd be nice if a headless
version of OOo, without the X Server running, could be given a document, open
it, and save it as a PDF in a few seconds.

Am I looking at something utterly impossible here, or is it possible I could do
this with several Perl scripts and MySQl running on the same system at the same
time?

You might try that "OOo For Kids". Almost exactly like OOo but runs on smaller systems like G3 iMacs like a pro.