On Sat, 2005-06-25 at 09:56 -0400, Andrew Douglas Pitonyak wrote:
> Hi Tony,
>
> The suggestion that you look at the documentation is generally based on
> the assumption that a person has not done so. Now, it is known that you
> have done so.... Sooo....
>
> I have done some poking around with database stuff, and I have not found
> any reference to MS SQL Server in my travels though the database access
> stuff. Now, based on the beta for the next release of OOo, I see that
> the following are supported:
>
> HSQLDB
> Adabas D
> ADO
> dBase
> JDBC
> LDAP Address Book
> Microsoft Access
> Microsoft Outlook Address Book
> Microsoft Windows Address Book
> Mozilla Address Book
> MySQL
> ODBC
> Oracle JDBC
> Spreadsheet
> Text File
>

> An interesting thing that is NOT mentioned in this particular list, is
> that MySQL is supported using either JDBC or ODBC, but a direct access
> method is NOT supported. As such, I speculate that you probably need to
> use ODBC, JDBC, or ADO. I can not find your original post, so I am not
> certain how familure you are with these aspects of the OOo database
> stuff. I have only used database access using the  beta software, which
> is perhaps not really ready for production use, but it continues to
> become more stable. I have not noticed instabilities under Linux, but
> under Windows, it seems to crash on its own sometimes; I think that it
> happens while performing some kind of checkpoint save.
>
> Just some tidbits that will hopefully point you in the right direction.
> I do not have MS SQL Server, so I can not test any of these things, but
> I can perhaps provide information on general connection information. If
> I do nto notice your message and respond on list, send me a direct email
> and remind me to answer (My wife keeps me overly busy it seems.)

Good answer. Still I still think that since MS SQL server is an SQL
based RDBMS that the comment in
http://documentation.openoffice.org/HOW_TO/data_source/link_tablehtml/link.html
about MS SQL server using ODBC should is a good reference and is
bascically what I said to the OP. That is that MS SQL server is similar
enough to MySQL that any methods used for MySQL should work equally well
with MS SQL server.

So I ask, how long did it take for you to do the research? When I saw
your answer, I realized it took time that you might have invested better
in pleasing the spousal unit :-)

So I took a few minutes to use google to look for MS SQL server info
using the following search string, 'openoffice.org AND "MS SQL server"'
and got Results 1 - 50 of about 5,590 for openoffice.org AND "MS SQL
server". Of the first twenty or so there were many direct references.
Further Chapter 7 or the User Guide does discuss using ODBC, JDBC and
ADO to connect to existing databases.

--
PLEASE KEEP MESSAGES ON THE LIST.
OpenOffice.org Documentation Co-Lead