In news:aanlktimmjeazcd=mcyuyuwwgadr75hcf53pxknyov...@mail.gmail.com,
Rupert Brooks <rupert.bro...@gmail.com> typed:
> Very interesting, i hadnt heard of it before - thanks.
> --Rupert
> Rupert Brooks
> rupert.bro...@gmail.com
>

> On Sun, Dec 12, 2010 at 18:49, Daniel Lewis
> <elderdanle...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Rupert Brooks wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I took apart an ooimpress file the other day that
>>> contained an animation.  The image content was stored in
>>> Pictures/<somelongnumber>.png.  This appears to be a
>>> regular PNG, except its much too big.  The animation
>>> seems to be stored in it, as it is properly kept and
>>> handled in the impress file.  However, the manifest for
>>> the document just describes the content as
>>> media-type="image/png"   In principle though, png does
>>> not support multiframe to my knowledge.
>>>
>>> So I wondered, what format is being used by openoffice to
>>> store animated images?  Are there tools outside of
>>> openoffice that can read it?  Could someone point me to
>>> documentation?
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>> Rupert Brooks
>>>

>>     The animated images are APNG files (animated PNG). It
>> is an extension of the PNG files we have known. Search the
>> Web using this phrase: "animated png" (without the
>> parentheses).  This extension has been around since 2004.
>>
>> Dan

NOF will work with PNG and APNG files, but ... is lacking in some of the
abilities to show them properly or at all in Design mode. It's like it's not
completely implemented. However, when you PUBLISH the pages with png files
in it, they will work/appear fine. IIRC Preview mode within NOF doesn't show
them accurately either; publish them though and they will appear fine.
   I knew about APNG but have never used it for lack of remembering it when
I had the time to look it up, but there isn't any reason it shouldn't adhere
to the same rules.
   If you open an Animated Image in any editor that is not animeated
"aware", you will not see the animation, again, until you publish it. All
you'll see is the first frame of the automation, none of the following
frames.
  You can do some rudimentary work in Animation Shop & similar programs that
are aware of animations. Browsers should also show the animations OK but as
Isaid, I have no actual experience with APNG. Whether GIF or PNG, the
process of creation is the same - a set of frames (pictures) presented at a
specified rate with small changes from one to the next.

HTH,

Twayne`