On Fri Jan 21 2011 13:18:49 GMT-0800 (PST)  . wrote:
I'm using an Alphabetical Index in a Writer document.

Is there a way to configure Writer so that I can click on an individual
entry in the alphabetical index and have it take me directly to the
entry's location in the document?

If you use the Insert-> Indexes and Tables-> Indexes and Tables you can insert what you want. On the pop-up dialog Index/Table tab select the Alphabetical Index on the drop down list Type. To get more details see http://www.odfauthors.org/openoffice.org/english/userguide3/writer3/wg3.2-published ans select the document titled TOCsIndexesBiblios it is available in odt and pdf formats.

HTH
Andy