Restarting a thread:
(originally 'Page numbers and footers are being deleted' ...)
I wish to create a title page on a document of about 17 pages.
information, but still am not able to make progress.

So I understand that my goal properly speaking is to modify the
document so that the first page is a title page.
Given the instructions that I have received from you good people and
from the links that I have looked at:

1)I have tried to insert a manual page break following the first
page. Here's what I do:
Placing the cursor at the bottom of the first page, I choose
Insert -> Manual Break -> Default. It appears that the break is
inserted *but* a line is inserted into the next page. This is not
acceptable, but can be corrected (I think) by deleting the top line
of the following page. I note also that the instructions at
http://doc.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/OOoAuthors_User_Manual/Writer_Guide/Using_page_styles
Refer to a "New Chapter" style option. There is none in our copies
of OO.

2)Setting the first page to the "First Page" style. Disturbing.
Here is what I do:
With the cursor on the botton of the first page, I pick
Format -> Styles and Formatting and get a popup window title
"Styles and Formatting".
>From the five icons at the top left of this window, I click on
the second to the rightmost (tooltip says "Page Styles") and
then I click on "First Page". Nothing happens! And there is not
an "OK" button or any other type of commit button on this window.
Now, if I *Double Click* the "Styles and Formatting" window closes
and I now see that the status bar at the bottom of the page says
"First Page" but! Extra lines have been inserted and that is bad!
Although they can be deleted. Furthermore, if I save the document,
and reopen it, the style for the first page has been reverted to
"Default". Aargh! I am a programmer but unfamiliar with Word
Processors.

So to ask the first question:
Why are separate page styles not being saved?

NOTE: This document is subject to very strict standards by the
recipient.

thanks
--
Tim