On Sun, 23 Jan 2011 09:42:55 +0100
"Johnny Rosenberg" <gurus.knu...@gmail.com> dijo:

>> It has been a long time since I used Word, but I recall all you did
>> was type Alt, then the letter combination (e.g., a:), and it
>> automatically converted the letter combination. If the Alt was not
>> followed by one of the built in letter combinations, then the Alt
>> was ignored.
>>
>> I've looked everywhere, but I can't find such a feature in Writer. I
>> find this surprising.

>In Unix-like operating systems you have the Compose key (at least if
>your desktop environment is Gnome), which is useful for things like
>this. What you do is that you define a Compose key (I use the
>otherwise useless Caps Lock for that, but other options are
>available). It works like this: Press your Compose key → release it →
>press " → release → press O → release → the result is Ö.
>Looks complicated, but just try it. You need to press three keys to
>create an Ö or any of the other characters, like á, ë, œ, Ø, ø and so
>on.

This is what I was looking for. I assumed it would be in OOo, but this
is even better because it is system-wide.

I use Gnome on Fedora 14, but I have never looked at the keyboard
settings. Using your suggestion I changed the useless Windows key to a
compose key and now I can get the diacritics I need.

The only things I am lacking are ¿, and ¡. I can't figure out what the
secret key is to get those. E.g., for á I type press the Windows key,
type an apostrophe and then the a. The Windows "compose" key turns the
apostophe into a dead key for the acute accent, so the "secret key" is
the apostrophe. But I can't figure out what the secret keys for ¿ and
¡ are. There must be a table somewhere in the Gnome documentation,
but I can't find it.

Thanks for the information!