On Jan 31, 2011, at 07:08 , John Jason Jordan wrote:

> On Mon, 31 Jan 2011 04:10:49 +0000
> Brian Barker <b.m.bar...@btinternet.com> dijo:
>
>> At 19:55 30/01/2011 -0800, John Jason Jordan wrote:
>>> Actually, AutoCorrect is what I would use for all the issues, not
>>> just ' inc '. Typing will be faster because she won't need a
>>> notification of, e.g., a double space after a period, and then have
>>> to deal with the notification, if the 'period plus double space' is
>>> simply automatically corrected to 'period plus space.'
>>
>> I'd imagined that the questioner was talking about existing documents
>> with surplus spaces, in fact, not just correcting them as they are
>> inadvertently typed.  But for what it's worth, I can't make
>> AutoCorrect do this.  Perhaps not surprisingly, entering
>> dot-space-space for Replace and dot-space for With doesn't seem to
>> produce the desired effect.
>
> Hmm. You're right. I never tried it until just now, but it doesn't
> work with spaces.
>
> Under another tab there is an option to Ignore Spaces. I didn't try it,
> since that is the opposite of what we want.

I must admit my first thought was that the OP's wife should turn on
View/Non-printing Characters, which would show a dot for every space.  This is
not giving a warning as such, but if she's not sure whether there is one space
or two at certain points, it will show her that.  Similarly around a hyphen.
Depends whether she wants a bell to ring (or actually a red wiggly line under
the offending point) or just wants to be able to copy edit.

//J