I empathize everyone's frustration with MS-Office; I still have not
recovered from my frustration dealing with Windows 3.0.  OpenOffice is a
wonderful set of products.  Alternatively, you can look at Corel's
Wordperfect.  It has a great feature called "reveal codes".  You can view
your document in the soft underbelly of nitty gritty details and edit
directly in the reveal codes feature.

I just checked.  It uses "open document format" so my guess is that your
files might be interchangeable between OO and Wordperfect.  Both have
MS-Office compatibility.

HTH

Jim