On Friday 01 July 2011 10:27, John Jason Jordan wrote:
> Google informs me that xml is Microsoft's new open document format. OK,

The website referred to by Google (not Google itself) is wrong. XML
is "eXtensible Markup Language". Microsoft Office's newish (from 2007
onwards) file formats are stored as XML. So are OpenOffice.org formats since
version 1.0. Two thirds of the web pages you view are now XHTML which is a
subset of XML.

> I don't have MS Office, but back I go to OOo for further checking. It
> turns out that in OOo (3.3, from OOo, not Fedora repos) I can do File >
> Open New > XML document. However, there appears no way to open an
> existing xml file.

Browsers, at least firefox, will display any XML documents in readable format.
If formatting information is provided as CSS this will be applied. Then you
can copy and paste the relevant data to OpenOffice.org or your program of
choice.

--
Michael