On Thu, Jun 30, 2011 at 12:54 PM, Helen <etter...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I have a spreadsheet with 14 columns.
>
> I tried to upload it to google docs, and got a message saying  the document
> has too many columns, that google  has a limit of 219 columns.
>
> So I opened my document and I see that the columns just go on and on
> forever.
> I need only the fourteen that I'm using.
>
> But I don't find how to tell my document that it has only14 columns.  As I
> look
> through my other files,  I see that this seems to be true of all my
> spreadsheets -- that the columns just go on forever.  How do I control how
> many columns it should have?
> Thanks very much,
> Helen, using  LibreOffice 3.3.1 in Suse 11.4
>
> You may wish to try
- select the first column to the right of your last column
- select all the remaining columns to the right, Ctrl+Shift+rightArrow
- delete the selected columns, rightClick on any selected column header and
click "Delete columns"
- save the spreadsheet and now try to import to GDocs

If spreadsheet has had any row based formatting applied, even formatting
that isn't apparent without contents in cells, e.g. Italic, this expands the
column range to all columns as far as tracking properties of spreadsheet
cells go. This is true even though Ctrl+End won't take you to the right most
column. It will take you only to the right most non-blank column.

Don't know if this is the root of your problem but have found row or column
based formatting that continues far beyond the bounds of the data range
often caused unexpected behavior in my spreadsheets. Discovered this MANY
moons ago with 1-2-3, Windows version, and have found it true in every
version of QuattroPro, Excel and Calc since then.