On Thursday 07 July 2011 03:50, john...@waitrose.com wrote:
> I am having problems that the dictionary is not working, I have
> tried re-installing and nothing happens.   I have entered words
> that I know are correct but there must be a couple of million to
> go.

Which english dictionary are you trying to use?

Have you set the default for OpenOffice.org to that dictionary?
 * From the Menu "Tools - Options"
  - "Language Setting - Languages" - "Default languages for documents"

Is it installed?
 * In "Default languages for documents" it will have a blue tick
beside it if it is installed.

Is spell checking turned on?
 * On my version on the Standard toolbar there is an icon with a wavy
underline which toggles the "Auto Spell Check" function. With this
disabled the wavy red underlines do not appear.

Try writing a full sentence with known errors in it. "hte color of the
colour was grey or wus ut gray?" Then test with the manually started
spell checker "Tool - Spelling Check" or tap key [F7].

Existing documents that may have been previously written in  a
different version of english will need to be changed to a version you
have installed.

HTH

--
Michael