On 9/5/2011 4:28 PM, Brewster Gillett wrote:
On Mon, 2011-09-05 at 16:18 -0400, David B Teague sr wrote:
I used OO.o from the earliest days, and switched
to LO when the Oracle bought Sun and screwed things up. I can't really
say OO.o is better or worse than LO, but I don't use OO.o because Oracle
has made it difficult for everyone. I believe LO has some features that
OO.o doesn't. I have not had LO crash or freeze.

David
-- nil significat nisi oscillat
     do wop, do wop, do wop.
bg:

Can you readily sum up the necessary steps for migrating from Open
Office to LibreOffice? Principally the gotchas? But also the means
of preserving the docs - I assume the file formats are identical
or practically so...?

Thanks,

Brewster

Brewster,

The native file formats for LO and OO.o are identical: ODT, etc. I did not perceive much difference between the user interfaces except that there were a few more things I could do with LO. If you need to know the differences, I believe there are web sites that compare LO and OO.o. Google search is your friend there.

Installation: I suggest you read the installation instructions on the LO site, and read the release notes. I deleted OO.o using the W7 control panel applet. This won't do anything to existing files generated by OO.o. I understand this leaves the personal profile from OO.o that will be used by LO. I then fetched LO from their web site. Be careful to get the one without Java. My experience has been that the version of Java in the installers for LO and OO.o is been out of date, so I think it is better have your own version. Then I installed LO. You will have to decide during installation what file formats will be opened by LO. Make sure the new installation knows about the Java installed on your system.

If you have extensions on OO.o look on the LO site for the corresponding extensions and install them. I recall that the import PDF extension is necessary for OO.o to export PDF files and to generate hybrid pdf/odt files readable by pdf readers and able to be edited by OO.o. I note that it is installed on my LO, but I don't recall having installed it. So if this function is important to you, be sure you have that extension installed for LO.

I had no problems and no glitches but your mileage may vary.

I believe what I say here is accurate, but if anyone spots an error in what I said here, please post a correction.

Warmest Regards
--David Teague

--
nil significat nisi oscillat