On 3/14/2012 9:22 PM, Bruce Martin wrote:
Dear Kay:

Thanks for your reply.

I will have to search AOO on my available Linux repositories to see what they come up with.

to me, the main reason so many went from Oo th LibO is because when Oracle bought out sun, people were afraid that Oo would (figuratively) become "less open". I tend to feel that a main open source app of this importance should be a true .ORG with no possibility of being used as a "front" (i.e. repeated enticement) to get people to go for paid products. Ads on the side of the web page just enough to pay for the site, is one thing, but I think more than that, many people are silently fearful of too much commercial aggressiveness, direct or indirect.

Actually my background is more industrial electronics and heavy industry than true IT. Now retired, I tend to make some gadgets myself from scratch, or near scratch, especially if, by doing so I can have added benefits from them in terms of:

-    durability
-    interchangeability
-    home shop repairability
- other features not available on the market, especially if I think those features are ones that the market may be reluctant to make available, possibly because they would be "market busters" and jeopardise the sales of existing products.

I have been doing this for decades, and some of these items have been in service for as much as 40 years. I also make some of my own tools.

Out of the box? Yes!

Best Regards, all

Bruce M.