[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

I downloaded OpenOffice into my program files and it downloaded as a zip file. When I try to open it, my system asks me what to open it with. Nothing works!! What did I do wrong & how can I fix it? A computer guy gave me your website and told me that OpenOffice was a great alternative to MSWord & that anything that I sent to someone with this program with MSWord could open it...is this true? If it would be easier to talk me through this on the phone, feel free to call me at (478)922-0449 My name is Rosie.

                                               Thank  You so very much

You need a program to decompress zip archives. Try 7-zip <http://www.7-zip.org/> ( http://www.7-zip.org/ ); it is free, like OpenOffice.org itself. Once you've installed it, you need to (in 7-zip) go to the settings and put a check in the box that says `zip'. In fact, put a check in the other boxes while you are at it. Then, go to where you have saved the zip archive, right-click on it, and with 7-zip, choose `extract here'. Now open the resulting folder, and run `setup'. This should get you on the path to installing OpenOffice.org.

Iain