On Tue, 2005-09-13 at 10:48 -0500, Dan Lewis wrote:
> On Tuesday 13 September 2005 08:26 am, G. Roderick Singleton wrote:
> > On Tue, 2005-09-13 at 08:13 -0500, Dan Lewis wrote:
> > >      I have a Linux system which does not contain Times New Roman.
> > > I need this font for some work I am doing. When using the "Install
> > > fonts from the web", I got to the download stage. But the file to
> > > download was an *.exe. That is not the file extension I need for
> > > Linux. Where can I go to get this font (preferably for free) for a
> > > Linux O/S?
> >
> > The autopilot/wizard should install these automatically, so I am
> > confused. Please explain how you are using Install fonts from the web
> > because this procedure has always worked for me and is completely
> > transparent. Perhaps all you need to do is get the list, select the
> > fonts you want (I suggest all the free MS truetypes) et cetera until
> > finally clicking finish. So please explain so we can help you.
>
>      I'm confused also. It must be my thinking along Linux lines: files
> ending with .exe are not executables in Linux. That is why I stopped
> when FontOOo wanted to download some fonts as *.exe files. However,
> after reading your reply, I let FontOOo run to completion. I did this
> using OOo 1.1.4. The fonts are now also available for 1.9.125 without
> any additional work.

True as far as it goes but in this case, FontOOo executes a neat little
utility from Kevin Hendricks called msfontextract that expands the
msfont download into something useful. Please see
http://oooconv.free.fr/fontooo/fontooo_en.html for more info.
--
PLEASE KEEP MESSAGES ON THE LIST.
OpenOffice.org Documentation Co-Lead