CPHennessy wrote:

On Thu August 25 2005 02:54, Val Kaliszewski wrote:
I have created 2 tables in OpenOffice, one is a Parent table (Name,
address, phone, email), the second is a Student table (name,
grade&teacher).  Both tables also have a "FamilyID" field to join them.  I
have created a data entry form with a Parent form and a Sub form to enter
the data.

Now I want to create a full printable report in the following format for
all the families.  Each family will have from 1-4 students.  I know how to
suppress the blank lines.

Parents name
Address
City, State  Zip
Phone
Email
   Student1  Grade&Teacher
   Student2  Grade&Teacher
   Student3  Grade&Teacher
   Etc.

Can I do a table join on the report in OpenOffice?  If so, how do I do
this?  If it can't be done with a database defined in OpenOffice, can it be
done with a MySQL database registered as a datasource?

Hi Val,
Since you have received no response yet, I'd advise you to try the mailing lists on http://dba.openoffice.org project. I hope that this helps.

Val, have you added any data to the tables yet and if so, how have you done this? i have been trying to do this for several months now by creating the two tables and then creating a query upon which to base my input form and reports but when i go to try and input the first row, the query comes up blank -- there is no first row from the left join of the two tables. If i create a form based on the query, no data can be input into the fields. Have you had any luck with this? i've tried finding an Access-like front end with which to make up my db and which would at least allow me to create queries and begin inputting data including EDB-Studio, pgexplorer (since i would like to use Postgresql), the lite version of EMS PostgreSQL, Kexi and i don't know how many others but i just can't seem to get beyond table creation and joining and the creation of the query. Today i want to create a simple two table model in Access complete with query and input a couple of rows to see what happens. i've been looking for something to be able to recommend to my workplace so we can begin to move away from MS but since none of us is a db programmer the office db which runs everything was put together w / Access because of its drag-and-drop front end. i hope that you've been able to get your report going. Have a nice day! :)