On Thu, 2005-09-29 at 23:30 -0500, Randomthots wrote:
> Doug Thompson wrote:
> > Pete Holsberg wrote:
> >
> >> Doug Thompson wrote:

[snipped]

> Tell me, wouldn't you all rather answer a question that goes like, "I've
> been using OpenOffice for a month now, and I think it's great!! BTW, how
> can I make it so that it just automatically opens my MSO files when I
> double click on them?", as opposed to "YOUR [EMAIL PROTECTED]&* PROGRAM ATE
> MY
> FILES!!! I WANT THEM BACK. NOW!!!!!!"?
>
> As long as that dialog stays the way it is, I refuse to answer a poster
> with that problem. It could have been fixed a long time ago were it not
> for programmers with your exact attitude. I used to answer it, I'll help
> people with other things, but I won't touch that one. I'll leave that to
> you Mr. Thompson.

Before we go off topic, I would like to add this bit of history to the
mix.

     1. This question only shows up if the user has MSO installed.
     2. At the start of OOo deployment, OOo behaved as a good Windows
        program and set associations to itself by default. That was
        worse than the current situation which is why the checkboxes.
     3. Having been through this discussion before, I have come to the
        conclusion that it is impossible to do anything that will be
        universally acceptable where there is an existing MSO
        installation.

I also want to point out that the checkboxes are NOT offered where no
MSO is installed.

In the end, I wish that you guys and gals can come up with something
that makes sense and fits in the box.
--
PLEASE KEEP MESSAGES ON THE LIST.
OpenOffice.org Documentation Co-Lead